Sunday, June 28, 2009

I’m doing this … again?

Yes, I’m going back to Israel this summer to compete in the 18th World Maccabiah Games. I’m extremely excited to not only be going back to Israel (which I haven’t done since I returned home four years ago) but for the thrill of competing again, and, most importantly, to reunite with some of my closest friends who are spread throughout the world and are always with me because of the Games.

And when I said “I’m doing this … again?”, I’m really referring to writing this blog. At first, I wasn’t sure I was going to bother. Don’t get me wrong, I love to write and chronicle the journey, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to have the added responsibility of writing nearly every day about our experiences and what was happening in Israel and at the bowl. In the end, with so many people wanting to know what would be happening in Israel, and after realizing that I enjoyed using this as a way to decompress and share after a long, hot day at the bowl, I decided that another blog was in order.

You can read about how I first got connected with Maccabi USA from my blog four years ago,
and while you are there, you can check out some of my other random thoughts and musings – some of which are just as random and just as relevant. During the experience, I’ll be posting different pieces of information including results from when we begin competition on July 15. But here are a few other links you can check out:
You can also check out my blog from Israel in 2005 (maccabiah17.blogspot.com) and Australia in 2006 (maccabiaustraliagames.blogspot.com). And make sure to check out the blog by Australia’s Daniel Zalcman at maccabiah2009.blogspot.com – he definitely got a head start on me.

Finally, before I close this first post, I want to thank all my friends, family, and colleagues (past and present) for all your support and encouragement. I couldn’t do this without you. And although it’s really not “my thing,” I want to give a big “shout out” to my teammates from 2005 who will not be making this journey. Meryl and I will miss you and know that you are cheering us on from the other “home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment